Saturday 12 April 2008

KLIA gunfight at doors number 7 & 8, the blame game

The danger of waffling.
Say no to bullshit and convoluted circumlocution.



With immediate effect, armed policemen will be stationed at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport's (KLIA) departure and arrival halls.

This was the immediate response from the police after the shoot-out outside the KLIA departure hall yesterday in a RM3.5 million robbery.


IGP Musa Hassan said six armed General Operations Force (GOF) personnel will be placed on patrol duty around the clock daily. "The move is to provide extra security at KLIA," Musa said.

He, however, pointed out that it was also important to investigate the moneychangers.

"We want to know how they were going to take RM3.5 million out of the country."

(The gunmen took a bag containing Singapore currency amounting to S$1.5 million.)


In the armed robbery occurred about 7.50pm, four gunmen ambushed two money changers and their armed guard, firing randomly at them. The armed guard and an off-duty policemen returned fire.

But after the five-minute shoot-out, the two moneychangers -- Muhamad Fadzil Amanullah Khan, 20, and Bukhari Abdullah, 22, -- their armed guard, Suhaime Mohd Yussop, 49, the policeman, Lance Corporal Zainudin Mat Isa, 40, and a Nepalese contract worker, Lal Bahadur Shres, 29, were left injured.

The gunmen escaped with a bag containing the cash. It is understood that the money changers were on their way to Singapore with the cash when they were ambushed. Muhamad Fadzil, Bukhari and Suhaime, had stepped out of the car and were walking towards Gate 8 of the departure hall when the gunmen struck from the front and the rear.

It was also learnt that Suhaime returned fire, and so, too, did Zainudin who was at the airport to meet a friend. Lal Bahadur was caught in the crossfire. All victims suffered gunshot wounds to their legs and when they fell, the gunmen coolly picked the bag containing the money before escaping.

The shoot-out lasting five minutes, sent scores of people running for cover as more than 50 shots were fired.

Several of the shots shattered the glass panels of doors 7 and 8 of the departure hall.


After report that the CCTV cameras at the airport were not working, the Transport Ministry denied responsibility saying that CCTVs installed all over the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) are monitored and taken care of by Malaysia Airports Berhad (MAB).

Saying that he would pay special attention to the issue, Minister Ong Tee Keat also pointed out that not all the CCTVs at the airport were equipped with recording facilities.

"The cameras in the security risk areas inside the airport are for surveillance and also record what it sees continuously.


"However, the cameras meant for 'non-security risk areas', such as public areas outside the airport where the shootout took place, are only for surveillance and do not record anything."

Ong was responding to allegations that the CCTVs in the area where a S$1.5 million (RM3.5 million) armed robbery, which resulted in a shoot-out, took place last Wednesday, at KLIA, were not operational.

When asked if it would be more difficult to identify the perpetrators because the cameras were not able to record anything, Ong said it would be too premature to say such things.


"For now, we leave the investigations to the police. Malaysia Airports Berhad (MAB) will also work very closely with the police."


Ong also urged all parties involved to work together to improve the security situation, saying that this would be more productive than pointing fingers at each other.

Ong added that he would be meeting Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan soon, after being asked for his comments on Musa having sent the Internal Security and Home Ministry a letter a month ago to improve security at the airport which received no response.


"My ministry is in the midst of meeting every agency where there are areas of overlapping responsibilities so that we can learn from each other and improve," he said on Friday 11 April 2008.

There will be a lot to do then, let’s wait and see how effective the meetings will be, don’t old your breath, empires which have been built will be hard to dismantle!


Early news reports quoted MAB bosses as saying that MAB was not responsible for security outside the airport building; the MAB Auxiliary Police only provided security inside the KLIA buildings and airside at the apron and other areas. MAB said the police were responsible for the roadside and other areas outside the terminal building.If this is true, then it is the recipe for disaster.

Little wonder there have been several recent breeches of security at KLIA, including cutting of the perimeter fence when a man stowed away in the wheel arch of an aircraft, the summgling of a knife on board a Bangladesh Biman aircraft by a passenger, a sometime ago when a car was driven through a window of the departure hall.

The pilfering of passengers' luggage is also a perennial problem at KLIA.

The lackadaisical security is evident for all to see, taxi touts operate, harassing arriving passengers with impunity inside the arrival hall (public area), where they even engage in idle chatter with the airport police!


No breach of security at KLIA, says minister!!!


see local news report, in the Star HERE

Graviora manent

- Greater dangers await


Anonymous said...

The police is running out of excuses for the absence of armed security and the need of CCTVs recordings in such a sensitive place as KLIA. What next? A tunnelling job at Bank Negara and blame it on the sleepy foreign guards?

Anonymous said...

bro ong,

your first act of "klia-cya" is not too bad lar...keep up the good works...

looking forward your show on pkfz...

we cant wait liao...